Download as PDF
This course aims to meet the mandatory minimum requirements for knowledge, understanding and proficiency in table A-lll2 of STCW Code for the Function ‘Navigation at the Management Level’, for the functions: ‘Cargo Handling and Stowage’, plus background knowledge to support Controlling the Operation of the Ship and Care for Persons on Board at the Management Level. Function 1: This section provides the background knowledge to support the tasks, duties and responsibilities in:
- planning a voyage and conducting navigation determining position and the accuracy of resultant position fix by any means
- determining and allowing for compass errors
- coordinating search and rescue operations
- establishing watchkeeping arrangements and procedures
- maintaining safe navigation through navigation equipment, ECDIS and associated systems to assist decision making forecasting weather and oceanographic conditions
- response to navigational emergencies
- maneuvering and handling a ship in all conditions
- operation of remote controls of propulsion plant and engineering systems and services.
- planning safe loading, stowage, securing and care during the voyage and unloading of cargos
- the carriage of dangerous goods.
- Ship trim, stability, ballasting, cargo securing, tankers and tanker operations and carriage of dangerous, hazardous and harmful cargoes.
- controlling trim, stability and stress monitoring and controlling compliance with legislation to ensure safety of life at sea
- protection of the marine environment
- maintaining safety and security of crew and passengers
- developing emergency and damage control plans
- organizing and managing the crew
- organizing and providing medical care on board.